How to tie a Crawfish Fly Pattern




So I have been extremely busy with school lately. Finals are coming up in every class. I don't know what I'm talking about, because in nursing school its like finals week every week. Anyways lets get down to business. My dad signed us up for a church fishing trip. Our church started a mens fishing life group. I got out of my nursing clinical last week and rushed home to shower and meet my dad at Cabela's where we all met for a meeting and to talk about fishing and the upcoming trip. I found out that the trip was to the Illinois river and this part of the river had no trout. I wanted to use my fly rod and I already knew that I would probably be the only person fly fishing except for maybe my dad. So I had to start thinking bass patterns. I instantly thought I have two patterns I can use for bass. My wooly buggers or my popper bugs. I figured it would be a little cool in the season for the popper bugs and I didn't want to just use wooly buggers. I needed more than one pattern for a wet fly for the bass. So I gathered materials for crawfish, clousers, and zonkers. Don't worry I got video of all three patterns, but this one is about the crawfish pattern.

This is my first time tying any of these patterns so they aren't the best. I have heard that the crawfish pattern is effective with catching bass so I decided to start there. The pattern is really cool and fun to tie. It is definitely different from any of the other patterns that I have tied so far. I would say that it is an intermediate pattern as far as tying difficulty goes. I enjoyed tying the pattern and I recommend anyone looking for a bass pattern to give it a try. I hope you enjoy the video and leave some comments if you have any questions or suggestions. Tightlines!






Tying Materials
Size 4 mustad streamer hooks


Fish skull crawfish bodies

Orange sow-scud dubbing

Speckled centipede legs 

Ultra copper wire

Ultra 70 black denier



Comments